Neck pain is accounted one of the most widespread and expensive health concerns globally. Neck pain can constitute an intricate subjective experience arising from a variety of musculoskeletal reasons.
The cervical spine extends from your neck to the upper back. This vertebral region involves seven vertebral bones supporting your head. These bones are separated by vertebral discs. All these frameworks are supported by connective tissues (muscles and ligaments).
A problem or anomaly in these cervical structures or nerves in your cervical region can lead to neck pain. Cervical spine conditions can be categorised into a wide spectrum: mild to extremely critical, with or without upper back pain, etc.
A neck brace serves as a drug-free therapy to realign your natural spinal structures and alleviate neck pain caused by abnormal postures.
The Tech-neck Condition
Lordosis is a terminology used to define the natural forward curve in your neck or, more specifically, cervical spine. However, that forward curve can become more intense and lead to an unnatural curvature over time when you consistently bend your head forward, past your shoulders, for extended periods.
With the modern work culture and sedentary lifestyle, you are generally glued to digital screens such as laptops, mobile phones, and other devices in a hunched position translating into significant strain on your cervical spinal structures.
Quality neck support collar online can correct this unnatural posture by providing support to your weakened muscles.
Research has found that an average human head weighs around 12 pounds when your cervical spine is correctly aligned. However, the relative weight of your head can increase significantly (approximately to about 60 pounds) with the forward head bend and neck extended posture.
When you retain this position every day for a prolonged period, this exponentially increased weight and pressure can translate into stress to the spinal structures (bones, vertebral discs, muscles, and ligaments), leading to unnatural lordosis and chronic neck pain.
With the emergence of advanced technologies that keep the world continuously connected to digital devices, abnormal cervical lordosis or “text neck” is now considered a spinal disorder that a neck brace can treat.
A semi-rigid neck support collar or cervical brace has shown promising results to correct the unnatural posture causing cervical lordosis.
How Does The Semi-Rigid Collar Work?
Semi-rigid collars are ergonomically designed to support your cervical structures. Most braces have adjustable features for comfortable wear. The ergonomic design and the efficient support restrict the forward head “tech neck” posture.
Additionally, the modern semi-rigid braces use discreet bracing technology that you can wear anywhere and everywhere to support your posture.
Regularly wearing your neck collar can gradually restore normal cervical curvature by maintaining an upright head and neck posture. This leads to reduced load on your spinal structures and even weight distribution.
How To Use Neck Braces?
When you buy a neck posture brace, ensure to read the manufacturer’s guide on how to use the brace for optimal outcomes. However, regardless of the manufacturer, there are certain general guidelines that you need to follow for best results:
- The neck support collar should fit snugly. It should restrict the downward head movement. Your chin must not slide inside the brace.
- The lower edge of your cervical collar should rest comfortably near your neck.
- If you have a beard or long hair, your hair should be outside of the neck brace.
- The skin that comes under your brace should be cleaned to prevent irritation or discomfort. Don’t apply powders or moisturisers as they might damage the fabric.
- It is recommended to take off your brace when you sleep or take a shower.
Things To Consider While Buying Neck Support Collar
- Ensure to get the correct size when you make the final purchase of a neck support collar online. Just like your clothes and shoes, every neck brace you find online has its unique sizing structure. A bigger or smaller-sized neck collar won’t prove the accurate support to your cervical spine.
- The material should be hypoallergenic and comfortable. Many individuals discontinue therapy because they find the fabric uncomfortable and allergic in certain cases. The overall design should provide maximum ventilation and minimal heating.
- It should be easy to wear. Depending on someone to regularly wear and remove your brace can be inconvenient. The neck brace should feature a design with adjustable straps and velcro fastening that’ll help you wear and remove the brace easily without anyone’s assistance.
- The design should be ergonomic to support your unique contours and correct your posture instantly. While these neck braces retrain your muscles to maintain the correct posture, wearing these braces should provide instant relief to the strained muscles and alleviate pain.
- Discreet design will make you comfortable wearing the neck brace anywhere and everywhere. The neck braces can be helpful when you work on your laptop or computers in a forward head bent position, especially at your workplace. With A discreet design, you can wear it under your shirt with minimal visibility. Gone are the days when bulky neck collars were the only solution.