The photos that we store on our computers are stored in multiple formats and JPEG is one of them. Instances may occur when you accidentally or intentionally delete these photos from your system. All photos have some significant value, like a preserved memory of any moment, or they can be your business photographs.
Once you delete such photos, you might need them in the future. Not only this, it is important to get your photos back in JPEG format. It will bother you if you don’t apply the proper recovery method. In such cases, you have to pick the best repair and recovery method or third-party tool to get your photos back. There are many ways by which you can repair your corrupted JPEG files. Here, in this article, we have mentioned common methods to answer how to repair JPEG files after recovery.
Why do JPEG files get corrupted after recovery?
There are several reasons that make your JPEG files corrupted even after recovery. Once you delete any file, old files are overwritten by newly deleted files. The photos that you want to recover might have been overwritten, either whole or partial. Given below are some more reasons that cause JPEG corruption:
- Power loss and sudden system shutdown while transferring the file.
- Malicious ware attacks on the image file lead to data corruption.
- Header-related corruption in the JPEG files.
- Sharing of files via an infected medium.
- Hardware and software issues.
Various Types of Issues with JPEG Files
If there is any sort of corruption with your JPEG files, it will display an error message. Such messages are categorized in following two categories.
- The Windows inbuilt preview tools, like Photo viewer, cannot open these files.
- The JPEG file will open, but with low image quality.
Some Free Methods to Repair Corrupt JPEG Files or Photos after Recovery
Whatever is the cause of the corruption of your JPEG files, there are some JPG repair online methods to repair corrupted JPEG files. Check out some popular methods to repair your corrupt JPEG files below.
Method 01: Change the Image Format
If you are facing a problem while opening your files in JPEG/JPG format, try to open them in some other format. Sometimes, changing the file format of JPEG/JPG files to another format might help you. For changing the format of your JPEG image, you have to open the corrupt image with the Windows Paint tool. Then navigate to File > Save As and then choose the format of your choice. When you change the file format from JPG to any other, it will undo the effect of corruption from images.
Method 02: Run the CHKDSK Scan
The CHKDSK scan will help you to repair the bad sector in the hard drive or other storage devices. You just have to apply the following steps for the same:
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run prompt.
- Open the Command Prompt and type CHKDSK (drive-name) /r.
- Press Enter key after which the scanning process will start.
- Once the scan process is completed, restart your computer and check for the JPEG files whether they are opening or not.
Method 03: Restore JPEG File from the Backup
If you have luckily taken the backup of your JPEG files, then you can retrieve them using the restoration process. If you do not have any backup then still you have the chance for its recovery/repair using a third-party tool. These tools can help you to restore or repair JPEG files after recovery.
Use Third-party Software to Repair JPEG Files after Recovery
When the above manual methods failed to work, then you should try some third-party software, like the JPEG repair toolkit to repair your JPEG files. Stellar Repair for Photo is a popular JPEG repair software that you can use to fix almost all JPEG corruption issues. It can repair images that are corrupted due to a faulty recovery process. You can easily open JPEG images stored in SDXC, SDHC, USB flash drives, and others using this software.
Why Stellar Repair for Photo?
There are several reasons that make this software unique and different from others. Some of the amazing features of Stellar Repair for Photo software are:
- It repairs camera RAW image files and JPEGs quickly just with some simple steps.
- Supports all camera memory cards, including SDHC, SDXC, memory stick, etc.
- It allows you to repair photos taken with action cameras, DSLRs, and more such devices.
- Supports pictures taken from Android phones, iPhones, iPads, and tablets.
- The tool is enough to repair RAW image formats, like ARW, MRW, NEF, DNG, ERF, HEIC, PEF, RAF, RW2, and many more. You can check the preview of repaired photos before saving.
How to Repair JPEG Files using Stellar Repair for Photo?
Repairing a corrupt JPEG file using this JPEG repair tool is very simple. Follow the below-mentioned steps to recover your photos.
- Launch Stellar Repair for Photo software on your PC or Mac.
- Click the “Add File” button from the main user interface of the software.
- The Add File dialog box will then appear on your screen. Browse to add corrupt JPEG files.
- Press the Repair button to start the recovery process.
- Once the scanning process completes, you can preview the file before saving it.
- Click Save Repaired Files to save your file. Select the location where you want to save the repaired JPEG.
Tips to Prevent JPEG Corruption
You must keep the following points in mind in order to avoid such JPEG corruption issues in the future.
- Never use unsecured software to recover lost JPEG photos.
- Download recovery software from a trusted source.
- Instead of keeping only a single SD card containing your photos on multiple devices, use multiple.
- Every time eject/insert storage media in a proper way while transferring photos.
- Keep anti-virus software on your system for real-time threat protection.
It is frustrating, when you want to open a JPEG file after recovery but are unable to do so. You can use some online data recovery software to recover your photos. Some professional software like Stellar Repair for Photo can help you even if you are unable to open JPEG files after recovery. It is a highly recommended photo repair software with millions of users due to its powerful repair capabilities. Therefore, we can say that it is a highly efficient tool to repair all image files that are with corruption issues.